Kargador at Dawn

Kargador at Dawn
Work in the Vineyard

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Charles de Foucauld - part 4


Charles de Foucauld - part 4
“I Won Through…”

“The rebels were squashed. But they had made Charles curious and awakened in this loner an irresistible desire to get to know other people, to know the unknown.

Charles learned Arabic and read the Qur’an. He asked the army for an opportunity to study the subject nation. The army refused. Thus surrendered again his commission and left the army.

He decided on a long trip of exploration through Morocco. The French Geographical Society sent him to map the desert.
 
The risk was considerable, suicidal.  Two Europeans traveled through Morocco at the same time and disappeared.  His family tried to dissuade him. In vain!  From Morocco, Charles wrote later to his sister: ‘if one leaves saying that one is going to do something, one must not return without having done it’.

Charles described his journey: ‘I always had a notebook five centimeters square hidden in my left hand.  Used a stub of pencil, which never left out on my other hand, to write down what I saw on either side… In that way I was almost always writing as I went along… I was careful enough to walk in front of ir behind my companions, so that with the aid of my capacious garments they would not notice the slight movements of my hands’.

Charles discovered the sacred law of hospitality among Muslims as well as Jews.  It was something entirely new to him.  He loved it.  Up to then Muslims had been the ‘enemy’.  Now he met them as friends.

Now and then some hosts sensed who he really was.  They made smiling allusions and offered him gifts most civilly.  One of them even risked his life for Charles. ‘From then on my relationship with him was that of a friend. I exchanged trust for trust… I told him clearly who I was…  his friendship was all the more secure’.

The danger was very great on three occasions.  And each time, a Muslim risked everything to save Charles.  The third time, he almost lost his life.

Charles told a friend: ‘it was tough but interesting and I won through’.

Charles de Foucauld had emerged from his shell – a friend of Muslims and Jews.”


(Jun Mercado, OMI 1/26/18)

No comments: